Studies are eligible to participate in COSMIC if they meet the following membership criteria:
- Are epidemiological, and therefore population-based.
- Have a minimum sample size of 500.
- Examine individuals aged 60 years and over.
- Are longitudinal, with a minimum of two assessments.
- Include assessment of cognitive function as an important, if not central, objective.
- The outcome measures include dementia and/or cognitive impairment and/or cognitive decline.
- Studies from Africa, South America and Eastern Europe are particularly encouraged to join.