HELENA HUDSON | email@example.com
Wipeout Dementia continued its success on Friday 24 March, with 56 surfers from the property industry raising over $224,000 towards critical research into Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias led by the Centre for Healthy Brain Ageing (CHeBA), UNSW Sydney.
Senior executives and supporters from 37 companies across the property industry came together with Event ambassador 1978 World Surfing Champion Wayne “Rabbit” Bartholomew AM for the surf-off event on Sydney’s Bondi Beach.
“The day itself was conducted in such a fun spirit. The vibe of friendly competition was a highlight and there were some very entertaining moments,” said Bartholomew.
It warmed my heart to see the younger generation, including female surfers, participating. The generational awareness this brings to CHeBA’s campaign is significant.
Wayne "Rabbit" Bartholomew AM
In 2023, there are more than 400,000 Australians living with dementia. Without a medical breakthrough, the number of people with dementia is expected to increase to more than 800,000 by 2058. It is estimated that more than 1.5 million people in Australia are involved in the care of someone living with dementia.
The Wipeout Dementia event supports the research of The Dementia Momentum initiative at CHeBA and aims to increase the awareness of risk factors of dementia, particularly the positive and protective effects of physical exercise.
The 6th Property Industry Wipeout Dementia event was sponsored by Morgans Financial Limited, AWM Commercial Furniture, Avenor, Buildcorp, Novm, Sense Projects, Shape Australia and Winten Property Group, with event partners Hurley and Kennards Hire.
The event concluded with an awards ceremony to celebrate the achievements of Wipeout Dementia participants and supporters. The ‘Gnarly Award’, a Mark Richards retro pro board was awarded to highest individual fundraiser Michael Gordon, General Manager of Buildcorp Interiors, who was also the recipient of this prestigious award in 2022. Gordon personally raised over $36,000 in 2023 towards the cause.
Gordon’s Buildcorp sponsored team, Gordo’s Grovelers, were the highest fundraising team of the event – with the group raising over $63,000 and taking home the Major Prize of a personalised group training session at Flow Athletic, Paddington, and a workshop with Luke McLeod, one of Australia’s most popular thought leaders in mindfulness and meditation.
The other top individual fundraisers in this round, each raising over $10,000 and taking home a competition DHD surfboard were Mark Gross from Morgans Financial Limited, and Anthony Lombardo and Matthew Faddy, both from Avenor.
Avenor Director Peter Clemesha led his team, defending champions Clemo’s Diehards, to retain the Surf Off Championship as well as the Battle Royale, an event which sees all competitors hit the surf at once, with each team aiming to surf the highest number of waves in 15 minutes of surfing rivalry.
CHeBA Co-Directors Professor Perminder Sachdev AM and Professor Henry Brodaty AO attended the event and shared a few words on the importance of driving research funds to change the future of dementia incidence.
“Fundraising is essential to fulfil research campaigns that aim to address the tsunami of dementia-related illness Australia is facing,” said Professor Sachdev.
“We now know that we can decrease the risk of dementia or slow down the progression by becoming physically active from an early age, and remaining active throughout our lives,” said Professor Brodaty.
According to Wayne “Rabbit” Bartholomew, the messages highlighted by Professors Brodaty and Sachdev were both sobering and inspiring.
Wipeout Dementia surfer Ben Cradock, owner of SBC Plumbing, first got involved in 2022, surfing for his Nan who was diagnosed with dementia. In 2023, Ben is also surfing for his dad Peter, who at 66 years old has been diagnosed with early onset dementia/Alzheimer’s.
I will do all I can to support the researchers working hard to tackle this awful disease.
Ambassador for the event is 1978 World Surfing Champion Wayne “Rabbit” Bartholomew AM.
Surfers in the 24 March 2023 Wipeout Dementia event hail from many organisations across the property industry: Aspire PDM, Avenor, AWM Commercial Furniture, Bates Smart, BK Fire, Buildcorp, Clinton & Co, Colliers International, Cornerstone NSW, Developed, HDI Global, Icon, Jacobs, Leftfield, LJ Hooker Palm Beach, Mantra, Marsh, Morgans, Neeson Murcutt + Neille, Newquest Property, Nikki Mote Architects, Novm, NSW Land Registry Services. On Board Industries, RJ Media, SBA Architects, SBC Plumbing, Sense Projects, Shape Australia, SMLXL Projects, Steve Watson & Partners, TSA, Winten Property Group, Workrooms and Ziff Davis.
This event has had significant in-kind support from: DHD Surf, Dripping Wet Manly, Flow Athletic, Garfish, Holey Moley, Luke McLeod, Marys Group, Protein Puffs, Samsonite, Tesalate Towels, Three Blue Ducks and Tidebreak Towels.
SURFERS IN THE 2022 WIPEOUT DEMENTIA EVENT:
BOB & JILL’S LINE UP - sponsored by AWM
- Anthony Scotts (CAPTAIN): Director, AWM
- Colin Scotts, former NFL player, motivational speaker (substituted on event day by Jake Scotts)
- Richard Scotts: Executive Producer, RJ Media
- BJ Edwards: Sales Executive, LJ Hooker Palm Beach
- Beau Arscott
- Scott Dalton
CLEMO’S DIEHARDS - sponsored by Avenor
- Peter Clemesha (CAPTAIN): Director, Avenor
- Shane Campbell: Residential Development Sites Analyst, Colliers
- Ben Cradock: Director, SBC Plumbing
- Matthew Faddy, CEO, Avenor
- Anthony Lombardo: Senior Development Manager, Avenor
- Tom O’Neill: Acquisition Manager, Avenor
- Lachie Paramor: Director, Leftfield
- Blake Schulze: National Director, Colliers
CLIFF’S CARVERS - sponsored by SHAPE Australia and Sense Projects
- Craig Rodgers (CAPTAIN)
- Scott Anderson: Managing Director, Developed
- Brett Eichhorn: Director, Sense Projects
- Iain Macfarlane: Associate Director, TSA
- David Moffat: Managing Director, Cornerstone
- Brett Newman: CEO, NSW Land Registry Services
- Phillip Wicks: General Manager NSW, Shape Australia
- Andrew Wilson: Director, Mantra Fitout Group
DAZA’S DROP INS - sponsored by Novm
- Darren Beasley (CAPTAIN): Deputy General Manager, Novm
- Marielle Auvrignon
- Nick Butler, BK Fire
- Marike Le Corre
- Blake O’Sullivan, SMLXL Projects
- Brett Parker, SMLXL Projects
- Gonzalo Ventura, SBA Architects
GORDO’S GROVELERS - sponsored by Buildcorp
- Michael Gordon (CAPTAIN): General Manager, Buildcorp Interiors
- Mick Café: Senior Project Manager, Buildcorp
- Max Clinton: Managing Director, Clinton & Co
- Brendan Dunkin: Construction Manager, Buildcorp
- David Kemp: Senior Site Manager, Buildcorp Interiors
- Scott Leney: Head of Risk Management, Marsh
- Chris McDowell, HDI Global
- Will Pascoe, On Board Industries
- James Whitehead: General Manager, Ziff Davis
PHIL’S GOATS - sponsored by Winten Property Group
- Philip Vivian (CAPTAIN): Director, Bates Smart
- Nikki Mote, Nikki Mote Architects
- Stephen Neille: Neeson Murcutt + Neille
- Stewart Nettleton: Director, Newquest Property
- Karl Riedel: Finance Director, Jacobs
- Will Rothwell: Director, Winten Property Group
WATTO’S WAVEHUNTERS - sponsored by Kennards Hire
- Steve Watson (CAPTAIN): Managing Director, Steve Watson & Partners
- Stuart Brown: Director, Workrooms
- David Desson: Director, Aspire PDM
- David Goldman: Director, Aspire PDM
- Erik Knudsen: Icon
- Ben Gross
- Mark Gross: Executive Director, Morgans